reordering ethernet devices

Author: Mike Garfias
To: plug-discuss
Subject: reordering ethernet devices
So I've got this problem, and I'm wondering if any of you might have an idea.

I've got a motherboard with two onboard ethernet devices (Broadcom 1Gb), they
use the tg3 driver. Also, I have a mangement card in there, which piggybacks
on to the secondary interface.

Now, with 2.4 everything was fine. But when I migrated to 2.6, the labels
reversed. I need to have the primary physical address be listed as eth0, not
as eth1.

Used to be you'd specify this with the ethers boot argument. And if I had two
different cards, I'd just alias them appropriately. But with the same driver
it gets confusing.

I found a util called ifrename, but I have no experience with it, and wanted
to know if anyone else out there had used it in the past, and could comment on
it. Or suggest another, better way to do this.

Anyone?