Re: Debian XFree86 on Intel 82865G help needed

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Debian XFree86 on Intel 82865G help needed
Eric Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I trying to get Xwindows on Debian Sarge 3.1r0a working on a Dell
> desktop and LCD 19"(I think) monitor. The Graphics chip is 82865G with
> shared memory, I think :-(. The display is a Dell 2001FP with AGP. I
> went throught the install and selected a few different resolutions and
> got the following error.
>
> (EE) I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> I reduced the bit depth from 24 to 16 and now it is running at 640x480
> and 16 bit according to xwininfo.
> I ran xvinfo and it reports 1440x 1080 max depth 16.
>
> I tried to run base-config again but I can't find the part that
> configures X but I didn't move /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 aside first.
> I started to run dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-xserver and stopped because it
> was much more difficult than the install program.
>
> I'd like to start from the installer config as I figure I might have
> selected something wrong such as sane pixels and bit depths.
> I'm not sure what the program is in Sarge however.
>
> Also I don't understand LCDs well: do they only do a couple of
> resolutions such as the 640x480 and the 1440x1080? Other people have
> this setup running windows so I could see what there system will do.

LCD displays have only 1 resolution, period, called the "native" resolution. All other (lower) resolutions are emulated by mapping one or more LCD pixels to 1 display pixel.
It's always best to run an LCD panel at it's native resolution if possible, since the mapping process is imperfect, and often degrades image quality substantially.
If you must run at a lower resolution, always try use integer factors. For example, if your system's native resolution is 1600X1200, then the next lower acceptable
resolution would be 800X600, with exactly 4 LCD pixels mapped to each display pixel (800X1200 or 1600X600 would also work well, but few drivers support those
resolutions).

The reason CRT's can run at different resolutions effectively is because the blurring that normally occurs when the display phosphors interact with the electron beam
compensates for the display artifacts that arise from emulating a lower resolution.

According to the specs for your monitor (Dell 2001FP), you should set your system to 1600X1200 @ 60Hz.

According to Intel, as long as you're running the latest (Dec. 29, 2004) driver for Linux, you should either let the driver figure things out, or declare 96M of Video Memory if it can't
figure things out on it's own.
The 865G uses system RAM for video memory, and dynamically allocates/deallocates as needed. Expect to see a reduction in available system RAM of around 64M most of the time.
The chipset should support 1600X1200 @ 60Hz with 24-bit color without problems.
Intel uses the i810 driver for all of their chipset drivers in Linux (they use a "unified" driver model), so don't worry if your 865G is identified as an i810.