Re: Debian XFree86 on Intel 82865G help needed

Author: Eric Richardson
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Debian XFree86 on Intel 82865G help needed
Derek Neighbors wrote:

>Can you run lspci -v so that we can know exactly what you have?

I wasn't able to get the whole output yet (no drives, no mail yet) but
lspci -v did report the following which looked out of the ordinary.
Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0151

dmesg reported:
Intel 810 + AC97 Audio v1.01
i830.o and agpgart.o loaded
agpgart: max main memory for agp 202M
agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 856G Chipset
agpgart: Detected 892k stolen memory
agpgart: AGP aperature is 128M
[drm] AGP 0.99 Aperature @ 0xf0000000 12MB
[drm] Initialized i830 1.3.2 20021108 on minor 0

I have a feeling that 256MB ram is not enough for this setup.

I also found on the web a note to answer no to framebuffer on setup.

I did rerun the setup: dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86 but did
not see the fb option.
Is it in that big long module selection list?

Here is some select output from /var/log/XFree86.0.log that I though
might help.

(- - ) framebuffer bpp32
(II) BIOS 12288KB Video Ram
(WW) Extended BIOS function 0xff11 not supported
(==) Video Ram 32768 kbyte
(- -) Preallocate 892 kbyte
(==) Dell (65536)
(- -) Max framebuffer space 32616 kbyte
(II) I810(0) DFP(digital flatpanel)
(II) No display size info for pipe A

I got it running still at 640x480 and hopefully they will get me some
more RAM in case that is the problem.

Thanks,
Eric