Re: multi-fx() dead tree device

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: multi-fx() dead tree device
On May 21, 2005, at 2:39 PM, der.hans wrote:
> my $gf wants an all-in-one printer, scanner, copier. I, of course,
> need it
> to be something that works under Free Software.
>
> Much of what she'll be printing is photos, I think. She might also
> need to
> make lots of copies.
>
> We looked at LinuxPrinting.org. It seems that epson has the best
> support.
>
> We'd like something good, without having to go top of the line.
>
> We haven't seen the recommended CX3200 and CX5200 in stores. The
> forums
> don't have full positive info about the ones we have seen in stores.
>
> Anyone have a multi-fx() dead tree device to recommend for use with
> GNU/Linux?

If you do find one, send a note to the list. I'm not sure if there
is even ONE multi-function printer out there that fully works with
Linux. I was looking for one a year or so ago and couldn't find
any. Even Epson, which is usually very good with Linux support, was
lacking. Usually, you could get the printer to work but the scanner
was iffy.

I ended up getting a separate printer and scanner and haven't been
100% satisfied with that arrangement. Doing a copy and fax, while
possible, has been more of a pain than it should be.

Kurt