2.6.8.2-686 kernel and ... where are the mice??

Author: Joseph Huber
To: plug-discuss
Subject: 2.6.8.2-686 kernel and ... where are the mice??
Someone toss the cat out...

Following an "incident" this morning with aptitude I had to reinstall the
whole system (Debian). After putting 2.4.27-1-386 on from CD I added
2.6.8-2-686.

Problem: under 2.4 X works find but when I boot it 2.6 X won't start. The
message is

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
no such device.

I looked around on google and found lots of people with the same problem -
but nothing that seems to be resolving the issue.

Tis true... the only thing I've got when booting 2.6 is
/dev/input/event0 (seems to be the keyboard)?
/dev/input/event1 (not sure what this is)

All of this it a bit curious... I was using some flavor of the 2.6 kernel
(up until about 6 hours ago) and don't remember doing anything other than
apt-get install kernel-image-2.6... and away I went at the time.

Can someone shed some light on where my mice might suddenly have taken
tohiding out when I boot 2.6??