Re: Access Issue (was Re: PLUG Website)

Author: Patrick Fleming, EA
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Access Issue (was Re: PLUG Website)
>>I'm not certain that it is a true sweeping lack of access. Yes a few
>>members have pointed out that they cannot access the site and this needs
>>to be remedied. I don't know what steps have been taken to deal with
>>this other than to make sure the people in question were making it to
>>the site provider's network.

I demonostrated a 50% failure rate to connect using accounts from
Oregon, UK, Dallas, AZ, etc.

> Hypothesis: A significant number of web accounts are unable to directly access
> the PLUG website.
>
> Extension: Those web accounts that cannot directly access the PLUG website are
> disproportionately using high speed internet access.

One "account" that failed to connect was a co-lo facility.

> ---
>
> Null Hypothesis: The number of web accounts unable to directly access the PLUG
> website is statistically insignificant.

50% is highly significant... statistically my methodology was poor as I
only tried from 8 different "vectors".

> There is plausible reason to suspect the hypothesis is true.
>
> Do we need to demonstrate that the hypothesis is true?
>
> How do we test the hypothesis? (It would seem to require some sort of random
> sampling.)

I have traceroutes from all 8 attempts, previously emailed to the list.