Re: Access Issue (was Re: PLUG Website)

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Access Issue (was Re: PLUG Website)
I have repeatedly verified the DNS, there is no problem there that I can find. Nobody else has reported failure looking up the IP for the PLUG site either, that I've seen.

I have just asked a friend to run some additional source-scan type tests. The results show that there is a significant percentage (roughly 15%) failure when contacting the EV1 datacenter from high-speed IP addresses, the failure rate is lower (roughly 5%) from dial-up. This is based on a small (150) sample of IP addresses he was able to borrow for the test. In every failure case, the system managed to look up the DNS record with no problems, and packet trace showed the packet was (most probably) dropped at the EV1 edge router. It's possible that there is simply a broken routing table in their routers, but if that's the case, it's consistent across their entire routing infrastructure, as if any given IP fails to connect, that IP continues to fail on all subsequent tests within a
reasonable timeframe. Further tests indicate that, for IP addresses that fail, attempting to contact other hosted sites on the EV1 network may also fail.

The host (EV1) claims that all systems are protected by their FireSlayer service. I mentioned this last month when the original thread wound it's way by (http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/message/20050421.053442.a62e93c8.en.html)

These items, combined, suggest that there may be something in the way EV1 is set up (possibly, but not certainly, in their FireSlayer service) that is causing difficulty viewing the PLUG site for a non-trivial percentage of users.

I don't know the deal we have with EV1, but I would wonder whether it might make good sense to have our hosting supported by a PLUG member, with easy access should there be need, as Darin (at Deru) has offered. As a test, perhaps we might put a test site up and ask the various PLUG members who have trouble accessing the PLUG website to try to reach that site. If they can get there then that would at least show that a move to Deru might solve the problem...

==Joseph++