Re: Linux for Users

Author: Derek Neighbors
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux for Users
> Ubuntu would be my second choice as it works very well, however it's
> intentionally light on apps, and not having a ROOT user spooks me a bit. All
> ROOT functions are done in temporary su mode using your same user password.

I am not sure how Ubuntu is light on apps. If you add "universe" to
your repositories you can get about anything Debian has to offer which
is 10,000+ applications.

As far as root. Ubuntu has root. I use it regularly. The idea is if
you don't know how to set a root password for root, you should probably
only use sudo. I think that is pretty solid advice and that Ubuntu is
doing end users a favor by setting the default in this manner.

-Derek