Re: Linux for Users

Author: stu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux for Users
On Monday 16 May 2005 08:04, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > Ubuntu would be my second choice as it works very well, however it's
> > intentionally light on apps, and not having a ROOT user spooks me a bit.
> > All ROOT functions are done in temporary su mode using your same user
> > password.
>
> I am not sure how Ubuntu is light on apps. If you add "universe" to
> your repositories you can get about anything Debian has to offer which
> is 10,000+ applications.
>
> As far as root. Ubuntu has root. I use it regularly. The idea is if
> you don't know how to set a root password for root, you should probably
> only use sudo. I think that is pretty solid advice and that Ubuntu is
> doing end users a favor by setting the default in this manner.
>
> -Derek

Ubuntu being light on apps (as it is released) is definitely a plus for those
who want to install only the apps they need. I confess that I am still a bit
overwhelmed when I peruse the "universe"! I could get lost in there for days
at a time!
Ubuntu also makes it clear that using sudo over operating as root helps keep
it "secure" (a polite way of saying "Don't muck with it!"). It probably is a
good idea, and doesn't limit it's useful nature in any way.
For me, choosing between Mepis and Ubuntu was really nothing more than a
matter of whim. Either one would suit me fine.
Stu