PLUG Website (was Re: [OT] Adblock list)

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: PLUG Website (was Re: [OT] Adblock list)
Whereas PLUG is not a formal legal entity, it cannot have a central policy.
It follows that the idea there exists or can exist an official PLUG Website
is absurd.

I propose that a PLUG Website Reform Working Group form itself because the
current PLUG Website at http://plug.phoenix.az.us/ is manifestly broken.

A) It is hosted outside of Maricopa County and even Arizona. This is minor
insult to the Greater Phoenix area. More important, it has become
inconvenient.

B) The current site uses PostNuke, that has manifestly proven itself an
unsatisfactory content management solution for PLUG's website.

C) A significant number of internet users, specifically those on high speed
internet cannot access the PLUG site. This is absolutely INTOLERABLE. The
sweeping lack of access is itself entirely sufficient reason to discard the
current host and if necessary the current domain name.

The Website Working Group (WWG) shall take the following steps to remedy the
dismal state of PLUG's current website.

1) The WWG will accept Deru's offer to provide colocation hosting free of
charge.

2) The WWG will (if necessary) solicit a server from another party to support
the web site and other web services that PLUG and PLUG's charitable strategic
partners may choose to provide.

3) The WWG will move current content off of PostNuke, if possible to another
FOSS content management solution.

4) The WWG will migrate content to Wiki services when appropriate to do so.

5) The WWG will make a good faith effort to work with the PLUG Steering
Committee or other actors to migrate the existing PLUG website from its
current host to the Deru box, ultimately pointing http://plug.phoenix.az.us/
to the Deru box's IP address(es).

6) The WWG will open a competing Deru hosted website if agents responsible for
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/ cannot be persuaded to work toward the migration.