Re: PLUG Website (was Re: [OT] Adblock list)

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Access Issue (was Re: PLUG Website)
Subject: Re: PLUG Website (was Re: [OT] Adblock list)
> Whereas PLUG is not a formal legal entity, it cannot have a central
> policy. It follows that the idea there exists or can exist an
> official PLUG Website is absurd.

Actually a group can decide that something is the official site without
the group collective existing as a "legal entity". I participate in
gaming groups (D&D, etc...) that aren't "legal entities", yet the groups
have their own websites for the campaigns we are involved in and they
are considered Official. I do not see why PLUG and its membership would
be any different.

> I propose that a PLUG Website Reform Working Group form itself
> because the current PLUG Website at http://plug.phoenix.az.us/ is
> manifestly broken.
>
> A) It is hosted outside of Maricopa County and even Arizona. This is
> minor insult to the Greater Phoenix area. More important, it has
> become inconvenient.

That is the whole point of the Net. Sites don't have to be hosted in a
specific physical location to make them usable.

> B) The current site uses PostNuke, that has manifestly proven itself
> an unsatisfactory content management solution for PLUG's website.

I'm not sure that can be said to be true since the site is run by one
single user and added content is up to the membership to provide.
Judging by the main page, new content is added only 2 or 3 times a month
beyond the standard meeting announcements.

> C) A significant number of internet users, specifically those on high
> speed internet cannot access the PLUG site. This is absolutely
> INTOLERABLE. The sweeping lack of access is itself entirely
> sufficient reason to discard the current host and if necessary the
> current domain name.

I'm not certain that it is a true sweeping lack of access. Yes a few
members have pointed out that they cannot access the site and this needs
to be remedied. I don't know what steps have been taken to deal with
this other than to make sure the people in question were making it to
the site provider's network.

> The Website Working Group (WWG) shall take the following steps to
> remedy the dismal state of PLUG's current website.

This sounds a bit harsh given that the site is a volunteer effort.

> 1) The WWG will accept Deru's offer to provide colocation hosting
> free of charge.

Since you want it local, can any other provider be allowed to offer a
competing bid?

> 2) The WWG will (if necessary) solicit a server from another party to
> support the web site and other web services that PLUG and PLUG's
> charitable strategic partners may choose to provide.
>
> 3) The WWG will move current content off of PostNuke, if possible to
> another FOSS content management solution.
>
> 4) The WWG will migrate content to Wiki services when appropriate to
> do so.

I'm not sure either of these changes need to happen.