Re: Uploading to remote server very slow

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Uploading to remote server very slow
Problem solved! For once it wasn't too advanced for me.

I had my modem speed set too high. I dropped it from 11,500 to 56K. transfer
is fast now.

Found the solution here:
http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-17.html

17.4 Uploading (downloading) files is broken/slow

Flow control (both at your PC and/or modem-to-modem) may not be enabled. For
the uploading case: If you have set a high DTE speed (like 115.2k) then flow
from your modem to your PC may work OK but uploading flow in the other
direction will not all get thru due to the telephone line bottleneck. This
will result in many errors and the resending of packets. It may thus take far
too long to send a file. In some cases, files don't make it thru at all.

For the downloading case: If you're downloading long uncompressed files or web
pages (and your modem uses data compression) or if you've set a low DTE
speed, then downloading may also be broken due to no flow control.