Re: very slow initial connection, then all is well

Author: Bill Earl
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: very slow initial connection, then all is well

Erik Bixby wrote:

>How do the database servers authenticate people? Is there a NIS
>server to which they connect? This doesn't sound as though it has
>anything to do with the applications running on the machine, but
>rather your authenticator is looking for something (I'm guessing a NIS
>server) by host name, and timing out. Not being able to ping local
>hosts by machine name could be of interest. Had you been able to ping
>them by machine name before?

The db servers (and other linux boxes) just authenticate through local
accounts.

And nope, have never been able to ping internal machines by name. I
agree, it does appear to be some sort of authentication issue. I'm just
trying to track down what might have changed.

Is anyone aware of a utility that I could run on the linux boxes to
figure out what they're doing, or trying to do, during the delay?
Rather than try to find who changed what on the network, when I know
these three linux boxes didn't change, if I could tell what they're
trying to do that might point me in the direction of the problem.