Uploading to remote server very slow

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: PLUG
Subject: Uploading to remote server very slow
I think this may be a Linux question, if not, then we'll label it OT.

I've been trying to upload some small files to two different remote servers
using http, ftp and WebDAV. I downloaded 3MB of files from my website just
fine. I can't upload back, however. The connection establishes OK and
initially for a few seconds the transfer seems to be happening, then it
stalls, slows down, and deteriorates to nothing. My dialup connection is
good, surfing speed is excellent, there's no static on the lines. I have an
external Best Data modem.

My ISP looked and said they can't find anything wrong. They tried uploading a
file to the same server using the telephone number I'm using, and didn't have
any slowdown.

I'm using Debian with the 2.6.10-kanotix-8 kernel. I rebooted into Vector
Linux with the 2.4.29 kernel and the same thing happens.

I've tried it with the firewall turned off and it didn't change anything. I've
tried it at all times of the day and night.

I read about a problem almost exactly like this at LinuxQuestions.org, and the
guy said the problem was very deep in his kernel. He didn't say how he fixed
it, though!

Any suggestions welcome.

thanks,
Siri Amrit