Re: OT: Civil Disobedience and Jury Nullification (was Re: D…

Author: Jason Spatafore
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: OT: Civil Disobedience and Jury Nullification
Subject: Re: OT: Civil Disobedience and Jury Nullification (was Re: DVD Movies on Ubunto)
On Monday 02 May 2005 13:32, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> I'll repeat myself, if you don't like a law, TELL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE; if
> they don't change it, ELECT A NEW ONE.  That is the extent of your right to
> change things, and YOU choose to VOLUNTARILY ACCEPT that limitation by
> choosing to live in this nation.  If you find that the laws under which we
> live are unacceptable, you can work to have them CHANGED, properly, you can
> decide to ACCEPT them, or you can LEAVE.

Umm, sure you do. Have you followed the Bobby Fisher thing at all? You don't
even have the right to leave anymore. This country, and the patriotism that
goes with it, no longer allows you to "accept it or leave it."

>Not to rehash the intellectual property arguments, but I want to kill the
>abusive #@!*%($# my wife is unfortunate enough to work with, but I have been
>'educated' that this is 'wrong' and 'illegal'.  Are you saying I should just
>say "Umm, I think it is too fucking bad" and skin them while they sleep
>anyway?

If 60 million people want to skin those bastards, why not? Then again, using
somebody elses argument...your wife has the right to choose not to work at
the place she works. (Much like a creator of content has the right to not
release it for use by the public.)

Just keep in mind that original copyright law was designed to prevent somebody
from stealing your work and claiming it as their own. (Such as me doing a
rendition of Riverdance and saying that I created the dances, music, etc.) It
was not originally designed to prevent me from performing Riverdance while
stating in absolute fact that you, indeed, created what I was about to
perform.

Of course, that is not the case now...now I must get your permission to
perform your dance, although my dancers may be differently dressed or
differently proportioned than your dancers..etc. In software terms, I can
purchase a license, which you can change at any time, and I can only use that
license when you state I can use it.

I don't see Smith and Wesson stating that I can only shoot their pistols at
10pm on a Friday night, during a full moon, and only while standing on one
leg at least 13 miles from any civilized encampment. But, I do see Smith and
Wesson stating that their warranty is void if I use hollow point bullets or
"misuse" their product.

To simply state: A software company has no warranty requirements or
responsibilities regarding a failure in their software. However, they are
granted incredible rights of protection for distribution of their software.
There is no protection to the consumer but there are tons of protections to
the producer. And *that* is what makes the software field so lucrative. No
responsibility but 100% protection.

Can I sit there and tell my congressman that? I can certainly try. BUT, since
I am not buying him dinner at the fanciest restaurant in Phoenix, AZ....I
won't be heard. I'll receive a form letter and I'll be lucky if my vote is
even counted in the next election. So, in reality, should I be waiting 50
years for somebody noble enough to come along to listen to my pleas? Or,
should I say "fuck the law" and take my chances?

And that is the only choice people have today. And there is a saying which
describes the choice that will be made by the majority:

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to obtain permission.

These facts are self-evident in every aspect of our lives....but that is a
whole other discussion.
--
Sincerely,

Jason Spatafore