Re: OT: Civil Disobedience and Jury Nullification

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Civil Disobedience and Jury Nullification
Jason Spatafore wrote:
> On Monday 02 May 2005 13:32, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
>
>>I'll repeat myself, if you don't like a law, TELL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE; if
>>they don't change it, ELECT A NEW ONE. That is the extent of your right to
>>change things, and YOU choose to VOLUNTARILY ACCEPT that limitation by
>>choosing to live in this nation. If you find that the laws under which we
>>live are unacceptable, you can work to have them CHANGED, properly, you can
>>decide to ACCEPT them, or you can LEAVE.
>

> Umm, sure you do. Have you followed the Bobby Fisher thing at all? You don't
> even have the right to leave anymore. This country, and the patriotism that
> goes with it, no longer allows you to "accept it or leave it."

Of course you can leave. You just cannot retain US citizenship and still escape US laws. Fisher was still traveling on a US passport, was accused of violating US law (which applies to all citizens, wherever they are), and was properly arrested on a treaty-bound request for extradition. You may or may not agree with the charge he was arrested for, but you can't, reasonably, dispute that he was properly subject to detainment and forcible return.

If I wanted to become a French citizen, move to France, and live there under French law, I could do so. There's nothing to stop me, in fact the Constitution prohibits Congress from abridging that right. What I cannot do is move to France, live there, but remain a US citizen with a US passport, and go about violating US law without consequence.

==Joseph++