Re: Slightly OT: Using Linux to fix a Windows partition

Author: Miles Beck
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Using Linux to fix a Windows partition
Rod Heyd wrote:

*snip*

I have not tried to run repairs with knoppix, but I have been
> able to get most
> of the data off of drives that windows claimed was unreadable.

This is what I was going to recommend to the guy who was trying to save
the data. We don't care about the drive working but we wanted to get the
data off. Since I posted this to the list he put the drive in a
different system and then ran chkdsk again which showed more errors. He
then found a program called Getbackdata which looks like it will work.

Thanks for the replies.