Re: Slightly OT: Using Linux to fix a Windows partition

Author: Jason Spatafore
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Slightly OT: Using Linux to fix a Windows partition
On Thursday 21 April 2005 11:29, Miles Beck wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good linux tool that can be used to fix a windows
> partition that is now unrecognizable by windows?
>
> We've tried running the Windows rescue cd using chkdsk and it reported back
> that "The volume appears to contain one more more unrecoverable problems."
>
> At the very least we would like to get the data if we can, so making the
> drive operational again is not terribly important.

I know we shouldn't be supporting Windows...but...

Boot to Windows CD ROM and use recovery console option, run chkdsk /r
That performs an indepth scan.

If that still doesn't work, run fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console.

Those should be fixes for your problem. I know windows isn't the greatest but
I typically find those three tools to be the best for recovering Windows
Partitions.

--
Sincerely,

Jason Spatafore