Re: Mepis blocking port 143

Author: Jim
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Mepis blocking port 143
Jim wrote:
> Last night I installed Simply Mepis by booting from the CD and clicking
> the Install Me icon. It seems to work ok except port 143 seems to be
> blocked. I have an IMAP server running on my linux box which I use to
> access my mail on this machine. During the install I was asked if I
> wanted a firewall installed. I chose the no option. I know nothing's
> wrong with the server because I rebooted this machine into windows and
> have no trouble accessing my mail server.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

I never found out why this happened, but I found a way around it. Today
on my server I changed the firewall to allow everything in from my lan.
After I did this, I am now able to access port 143 from my other
computer running Mepis. The strange thing is that before I made the
change, I was able to access the IMAP server while running windows, but
not while running Mepis.

Go figure.

Jim