Mepis blocking port 143

Author: Jim
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Mepis blocking port 143
Last night I installed Simply Mepis by booting from the CD and clicking
the Install Me icon. It seems to work ok except port 143 seems to be
blocked. I have an IMAP server running on my linux box which I use to
access my mail on this machine. During the install I was asked if I
wanted a firewall installed. I chose the no option. I know nothing's
wrong with the server because I rebooted this machine into windows and
have no trouble accessing my mail server.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim