Re: Message tone on this list

Author: Technomage
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Message tone on this list
On Thursday 31 March 2005 19:30, Craig White wrote:
> It has been suggested on another thread that the tone of some of my
> messages might 'be a bit kinder'

I heard that as well.

> I tend to give answers, when I can, suitable for the level of the person
> asking the questions and thus the answers can be somewhat abrupt when I
> expect that the person who asked the question can understand what I am
> saying. Obviously an answer to a 'newbie' to Linux has to be done on an
> entirely different manner, more attention to the exact details and
> somewhat different in tone.

agreed. I can tell you (and others here) I do not make the best teacher
myself. I have a short fuse and little tolerance for those not capable of
learning at "my level". Still, I do try to be patient (I have to remember, I
was a newbie once my self :) ).

> Thus, when Nathan - a long time PLUG'er and long time and knowledgable
> Linux user asks a question, my answers are going to be short, as
> specific as necessary and include most of my concerns about why I am
> thinking that it is likely to be a bad idea that he go down that path.

saw that. saw nothing wrong with how it was handled.

> When Mike Enriquez asked about how to make 3 different sound cards work,
> I gave him a longer, more explained version of how I would handle it and
> he went out and bought a new card anyway ;-) Surely my tone on that
> exchange couldn't be questioned (or can it?) Needless to say, my advice
> with that new card isn't going to change.

hmmmmmmm. I think I chimed in here as well. Sometimes though, it is easier to
let folks learn from their own mistakes, even if it makes the rest of us look
elitist (it was written somewhere that mistakes are often far more
instructive that successes). Still, questions will get asked and we should,
at the very least, attempt to be helpful. sometimes our avice gets taken and
sometimes it doesn't. thats just the way it is.

> I have now looked back on the messages that I have posted during the
> month of March and the only thing that I think someone could have
> possibly objected to was my desire not to have the list spammed with
> GMail invite offers - if that was an effrontery on the successful
> commerce on this list (or any other), please let me know.

well, gmail invites aside, the other "commerce" on this list (such as job
postings and the like) I find to be rather informative. This list is only 1
of 25 or so I subscribe to, and given its low traffic volume, I dont mind the
occassional "off-topic" dicussions. it is rather nice to see so many
conversing sometimes without the restrictions you find in so many other
places. just reference linux in there somewhere and its pretty much
on-topic. :)

now. about that sound card..........
:)
Technomage Hawke