Re: Manners

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Manners
> well, a few of us (me included) don't have what anyone would call "social
> graces". me, personally, I tend to come off as obtuse or arrogant most of the
> time. Those that know me real well tend to just chalk it up to a personality
> quirk (which it is).
>
> To the newbies of the group: don't let these little quirks of ours put you
> off. most of the time, a little thick skin and some affitional questions will
> be more than enough to break the ice (so to speak).
>
> as for me, I am going to go back into lurker mode (just got my router working
> after it hosed its dns cache).

The biggest problem here is the medium of communication (yep, here I go spouting
off business/psychological terms). Email does not carry any emotion with it in
the message, so the reader is left to infer emotion where none is present.
reader is feeling either insecure or had a bad day at the office or the kids
were just nagging the hell out of him/her (damn I hate having to do that in my
papers, heheh). The opposite is also true. A message can also come off as
informative or just helpful just because the reader is in a good mood.

You are welcome to take the message any way you like, but do remember, just
because you don't like the message, doesn't make it wrong, especially not when
it is a public forum such as this list.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say
it." -- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906