Re: Sound Card?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Sound Card?
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 06:30 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> mike enriquez said:
> >
> > I have tried 3 cards. First the Intel 915GAG card has a built in
> > Sound Card and that didn't work.I put a Turttle Graphics Sound Card and
> > that did not work as well as Sound Blaster 24bit. The SB and Turttle
> > card were very simple and Fedora 3 would not see them.
> > What do you think?
>
> To full fill what I said, I checked my new computer here. It has the
> nVidia chipset but I did not load any binary nVidia drivers. FC3 just
> worked with it. This is what it lists for my sound card: Multimedia audio
> controller: nVidia Corporation MCP2S AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
>
> I don't know if nVidia based sound cards are available.
>
> More to your point: We need more information than just a report of
> failure. You need to plug one of these boards in and tell us exactly:
> - Any messages you get or see about the sound
> - Bring up a terminal or console and do the command /sbin/lspci. Post the
> output of this command.
> - Do the command /sbin/lsmod. Post the output of this command.
> - What sound card is currently installed?
> - What kind of slot (PCI, ISA) is it in?
> - What motherboard do you have?
>
> I don't think you should be having this much trouble with getting sound
> working.

----
I don't think that the ISA cards work on Fedora 3 - I don't think ISA
support is compiled into the kernel as they distribute it.

The motherboard sound should have worked...Alan, Donn and Siri all made
good suggestions.

The Turtle and SB cards should also work if they are PCI and not ISA BUT
you would need to completely disable the on-board sound in BIOS if you
use a separate card as the interrupts would fight for control and
unpredictable things would happen.

Suggest that you shut down, remove all sound cards, reboot, check BIOS,
enable built-in sound adaptor, allow it to assign interrupts
automatically if possible. If booting doesn't display 'kudzu' hardware
device found/removed then once booted, get into terminal, 'su -' to root
and manually run 'kudzu' to see if it detects any changes, hardware.

Then one last thing to do...
'Fedora Menu' -> System Tools -> Sound Card Detection

if all that fails, shutdown - insert one of the sound cards, reboot,
enter BIOS and disable built-in sound card and repeat kudzu/sound card
detection

Craig