Re: pop login scripts?

Author: Patrick Fleming, EA
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: pop login scripts?
Nathan England wrote:

> I need to have a mail server run a script when a user logs in. Anyone
> know how to do this? Or any specific pop server that can handle this?
> Basically, I have external clients connecting to a machine to check
> their mail from that machine. But everyone is complaining about my
> using fetchmail. I have it set to fetch the mail every 5 minutes. But
> some clients are complaining that that is too long. So I am wondering
> if there is a way for the system to fetch their mail when the pop is
> accessed. ??

Nathan,

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Reading this thread it would *seem* as if you might be trying to get
email from a third-party source. But reading your explaination above it
seems like you are operating *both* or all mail servers involved. If you
are managing both and only some email goes to an "outside" server for
clients you could probably set up .forward files for people who need it
on the "second" or "outside" server. That way, as soon as it's processed
by spamassassin and clamavis and whatever other filters you run it can
just be dumped onto the "outside" machine. I would configure the
"outside" machine to only accept email from your mail server and cut
down the hardware requirements for your "outside" machine.

Another way of doing this is to alias incoming email to the "outside"
machine (again assumes you control both) for those users that need it.

Is this what you are trying to accomplish?