Re: pop login scripts?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: pop login scripts?
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 22:21 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> I've thought about all this already. Unfortunately, I have to deal with
> Outlook Express. I can't do webmail. My first thought was squirrelmail
> because it also has the fetch option... But they didn't like it. They want to
> use their Outlook/Express.
>
> Thanks for the ideas anyway.
>
> nathan
>

> On Wednesday 30 March 2005 21:52, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 21:21 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> > > Then how would you suggest I use it? How would you suggest I get mail
> > > from other servers? The employees at my company want our server to also
> > > fetch mail from other places. I have been asked to make it so.
> > > Any ideas you could offer would be great.
> > > I understand that this is not the intent of the program. And making
> > > spamassassin work 'harder' is not any concern. That's what big processors
> > > and lots of ram are for.
> >
> > ----
> > well ok - www.horde.org
> >
> > horde/imp - users can set up fetchmail and configure it for themselves -
> > but of course it is webmail. Does some really cool stuff including
> > 'ingo' which lets users configure their own server based filters
> > (procmail or sieve - depending upon what you are using for delivery)
> >
> > or
> >
> > www.webmin.com + 'usermin' - usermin is add-on to webmin. Webmin is for
> > administrators, usermin is for users of the system
> >
> > but still - I would recommend against it - much higher loads on mail
> > server, inability to reject email, all for non-business use seems to be
> > rather small thinking.

----
the webmin / usermin combination allows a user to have complete control
over their 'fetchmail' actions. It has nothing to do with webmail. The
can keep using their stinking, broken Microsoft mail client and set up
their fetchmail to any rotation, turn it on/off as they desire. This is
a much better solution for users since they are in control and it means
the administrator can worry about other things.

the Horde/IMP etc. package is an ambitious workgroup collaboration
system and comparing it to squirrelmail is like comparing a Corolla to a
Jaguar. With a good IMAP server, they could still keep using their
stinking, broken Microsoft mail client - only in this case, their
'fetchmail' wouldn't run until they logged in to the system.

Craig