Re: pop login scripts?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: pop login scripts?
On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 20:16 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> I need to have a mail server run a script when a user logs in. Anyone know how
> to do this? Or any specific pop server that can handle this?
> Basically, I have external clients connecting to a machine to check their mail
> from that machine. But everyone is complaining about my using fetchmail. I
> have it set to fetch the mail every 5 minutes. But some clients are
> complaining that that is too long. So I am wondering if there is a way for
> the system to fetch their mail when the pop is accessed. ??
>
> I'm stumped, but not really sure what to look for. Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated!

----
in answer to your question - you could probably just continually grep a
tail from /var/log/maillog for the specific imap/login you are looking
for.

In reality, what you are doing is rather short sighted.

Fetchmail is really a single user and not a domain type program.

Fetchmail loses some of the advantages of running your own mail server
since you really can't reject mail that has already been accepted on
your behalf and fetchmail completely gags on non-compliant mail -
typical of some spam that has null characters in the subject line and
they are left on the server.

These days, I am configuring mail servers (Postfix or Sendmail) with
clamav, spamassassin, greylisting of some type (depends upon Postfix or
Sendmail) and MailScanner.

When you get mail with fetchmail, you can't reject mail from unknown
servers, viruses etc and you can't do greylisting which means that you
have to work spamassassin so much harder because every email has to be
scanned with spamassassin when you could have blocked probably 80-90% of
it with greylisting and denying specific senders.

Craig