Re: pop login scripts?

Author: Nathan England
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: pop login scripts?
On Wednesday 30 March 2005 20:32, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 20:16 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> > I need to have a mail server run a script when a user logs in. Anyone
> > know how to do this? Or any specific pop server that can handle this?
> > Basically, I have external clients connecting to a machine to check their
> > mail from that machine. But everyone is complaining about my using
> > fetchmail. I have it set to fetch the mail every 5 minutes. But some
> > clients are complaining that that is too long. So I am wondering if there
> > is a way for the system to fetch their mail when the pop is accessed. ??
> >
> > I'm stumped, but not really sure what to look for. Any ideas would be
> > greatly appreciated!
>
> ----
> in answer to your question - you could probably just continually grep a
> tail from /var/log/maillog for the specific imap/login you are looking
> for.
>
> In reality, what you are doing is rather short sighted.
>
> Fetchmail is really a single user and not a domain type program.
>
> Fetchmail loses some of the advantages of running your own mail server
> since you really can't reject mail that has already been accepted on
> your behalf and fetchmail completely gags on non-compliant mail -
> typical of some spam that has null characters in the subject line and
> they are left on the server.
>
> These days, I am configuring mail servers (Postfix or Sendmail) with
> clamav, spamassassin, greylisting of some type (depends upon Postfix or
> Sendmail) and MailScanner.
>
> When you get mail with fetchmail, you can't reject mail from unknown
> servers, viruses etc and you can't do greylisting which means that you
> have to work spamassassin so much harder because every email has to be
> scanned with spamassassin when you could have blocked probably 80-90% of
> it with greylisting and denying specific senders.
>
> Craig

Then how would you suggest I use it? How would you suggest I get mail from
other servers? The employees at my company want our server to also fetch mail
from other places. I have been asked to make it so.
Any ideas you could offer would be great.
I understand that this is not the intent of the program. And making
spamassassin work 'harder' is not any concern. That's what big processors and
lots of ram are for.