Re: Lunix Buddy needed?

Author: Craig Brooksby
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: AMD64 Distro [was Re: Lunix Buddy needed?]
Subject: Re: Lunix Buddy needed?
Hey Mike:

There are more of us "total dummies" lurking on this list -- you're
not the only one. So ask away -- we will all benefit. :-) I wish I
knew a lot about Linux so I could be your buddy -- you sound like you
have a lot to offer.

I just scanned the recommended article "How To Ask Questions the Smart
Way." Yikes: that's a lot of protocol. I'll read it and try my best
to be smarter.

Here's a dumb question for you hard core Linux types: I am a "Desktop
Joe" running Simply Mepis on an Athlon 64 box I just built. I assume
that Mepis treats it as a generic X86 processor. So: do I need to /
should I recompile from source, in order to gain what -- performance?
stability? I have looked, but haven't found resources relating
specifically to Linux and Athlon 64 so perhaps it's a non issue. Any
advice will be appreciated.

Thanks --

(the other) Craig