Re: Web CMS without a DB?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Web CMS without a DB?
Joseph Sinclair said:
> Which services are already running?
> Some possibilities:
> IIS web server
> Apache web server
> ASP services (you mentioned server-side JavaScript)
> PHP
> CGI
> Perl
> Others???

Other than the server-side JavaScript, I don't know. It never came up
until I got the idea to explore making my webmastering life easier. I'll
need to find out.

> What you can use depends on what you already have.
>
> That said, you can use XML as a hierarchical database structure if you
> have some reasonable level of server-side code available. If you can
> load in an XML library that supports XInclude, then you can even manage
> it as a relational-hierarchical system (which gets really neat for a
> simple CMS, especially if you build a really basic XLink setup for the
> navigation structure)

I'll explore those technologies. I was hoping for a "canned" solution but
I obviously can't find what I need until I know what infrastructure I have
available.

> P.S. your local-client idea sounds more like a web-design package than a
> CMS. Alternatively you could always just setup a local machine with a
> false DNS to point to itself for the site you're building, run whatever
> CMS you prefer there, and just do a quick web-crawl of that to get your
> HTML pages and pipe them up to your real server...

Now, that is an intereting idea. That could open things up to
"everything" since I run the DB and CMS locally where I have full control.
I'll think about that after I see what the server can give me.

Alan