Re: Demo of Linux to Windows XP Class- Pre report

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Demo of Linux to Windows XP Class- Pre report
There's an apples/oranges issue here, Don. See below.

Don Calfa wrote:
> The premise is that ... there was some sharing tool
> being developed to create a type of NAS based on the
> availability of the drives. ...
> ... some of the workstations equiped today have a
> default 160G hard drive and our server only has 120G.

In our office, we were grumbling about a shortage of
space on our shared drive, and some of us shared out
sections of our 18 GB PC drives rather than using
the shared drive. Very useful for short-term sharing
of files.

But our office automation manager reminded us that the
shared volumes he provided were modern NAS systems with
all sorts of raid stuff going on, and was backed up
nightly, with tapes going offsite, etc., while those
nice big disks on our PCs could crash at any time and
eat all our data. So there's a place for each solution.

Sharing among the PCs using their own hard disks is a
great idea, but is not always a substitute for a full-
fledged NAS or SAN system.

Vic