Re: Demo of Linux to Windows XP Class- Pre report

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Demo of Linux to Windows XP Class- Pre report
Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 16:59 -0700, Charlie Bullen wrote:
>
>>Hello All, I have gotten permission to do a demo for members of a class
>>on (hold your noses) Windows XP pro. I tend to talk linux up and some of
>>my classmates are interested.
>>
>>Here is the demo. Even though my laptop runs Redhat, I'm going to boot
>>it from a clusterKnoppix disk. I then have a bash script that is just a
>>buch of nested loops that run CPU usage up to 100% which I will run.
>>
>>Next I will launch openMosix and boot a couple of PCs over the network
>>from my laptop, running clusterKnoppix. I will boot them in text mode.
>>Next I will launch the bash script again, and via a nice openMosix
>>viewer, will show them how the load on the CPU is now balanced between
>>all 3 computers.
>>
>>Lastly, I will reconfigure openMosic to boot the PCs to a KDE desktop. I
>>will then let whoever wants to, play around with the KDE desktops while
>>I simultaneously again launch the bash script, balance the load amoung
>>the 3 boxes, showing how each computer can still be used as a desktop
>>with little or no degradation of performance.
>>
>>I have done all of this and it all works real well. The instructor is
>>99% sure that the classroom PC use PXE booting, but in case they don't,
>>I'm bringing a mini-itx box that I have already tried all this out on
>>just in case the classroom PCs don't want to play.
>>
>>I am also bringing my own router and cables just to be sure again.
>>

>>On the one hand the demo seems a bit complex, but as I am bringing
>>enough of my own gear, which I have run the described demo on several
>>times before, to do everything, without having to use any of the
>>classroom gear, I'm very confident that all will go well.
>>
>>I can't wait to see what a bunch of windows people will think when shown
>>what a real OS can do.
>>

>>I'll give a post demo report as well.
>
> ----
> seems a little geeky to me - especially for a class on Windows XP which
> makes me think that these aren't sophisticated computer users (or am I
> missing the point?) Load sharing among desktops isn't something I have
> ever tried or have wanted to ever try and it makes it seem irrelevant
> from the word go but perhaps I would think differently if I saw what you
> were doing.
>
> The thing that really strikes me is your attitude towards Windows
> (several references to your disdain and/or your expectations that we
> would disdain Windows). Computer are a tool for us to use. Whether the
> underlying OS is Linux or Windows or BSD or whatever, it's nothing more
> than a tool. I have seen people draw stuff with a text editor and a
> postscript printer that amazed me - they were knowledgeable about their
> 'tool' and the underlying OS had little to do with anything.
>
> I think that there are some things that are really impressive about
> Linux that seem so easy to overlook - but real Administrators can really
> appreciate them...

> [...]

Kind of OT but a couple of years ago I remember talk about disk sharing
in networks (my terms my be off) or sharing unused disk space.

The premise is that since the default hard drive is about 40Gig for a
desktop where an average of 20 Gig is used, there was some sharing tool
being developed to create a type of NAS based on the availability of the
drives.

Something like a pod of 5 computers would share the same data and that
data would show up as 20 Gig of storage on the network.

I don't remember the name of the project but I remember being 'wowed' by
the idea since some of the workstations equiped today have a default
160G hard drive and our server only has 120G.