Re: Quick Memory question

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Quick Memory question
On Fri February 25 2005 15:55, Don Calfa wrote:
> Usually the rule of thumb for swap is 2x physical memory (AFAIK)
> I'm remembering that there isn't a need for swap larger than 2Gig but
> I'm not sure.
>
> If I install 2 Gig of memory in a server, do I really need 4 Gig of swap?

That rule of thumb was for when we were lucky to have 16, 32 or 64 MB of RAM.
I used to make a 1 GB swap partition for 512 MB RAM, but since then I've
dropped it to 512 for 512 and haven't noticed any difference. I don't think I
even use the swap.

Maybe it's different for servers, or maybe it depends on WHAT you're serving,
but I can't imagine needing that much swap.

But what do I know?

Siri Amrit