Re: Quick Memory question

Author: Trent Shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Quick Memory question
On Friday 2005-02-25 16:41, Joseph Sinclair wrote:
> BTW, if you're running a 32-bit CPU (or 32-bit kernel), don't allocate
> more than 2G, the system generally won't be able to address it. If
> you're running a 64-bit CPU(with a 64-bit kernel), then allocate as much
> as you need, since the system'll be able to address whatever you
> allocate up to around 8 petabytes.

Why would you write the 32 bit kernel to address virtual memory with a signed
integer instead of an unsigned integer, especially when (as I recall) the
current Linux kernel can address 4Gig of memory?

Out of curiosity, could you have 4 Gig of main memory and then use up to 2|4
*RAM memory as swap by telling the system to treat it as a virtual drive? If
it can be done, what result should one expect (assuming a memory intensive
application)?