Re: InstallFest and My computer?

Author: Donn Shumway
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: InstallFest and My computer?
Please describe what you mean by 'mandrake will not shutdown the
computer'. Describe he shutdown process. Are you booting into an
X-session or to the command line?

2) Installing Firefox and Thunderbird is fairly easy. Start with
Firefox. Download the latest tar file from the Firefox site (version
1.01 just came out today and includes some significant bug fixes). The
file is named firefox-1.0.1.installer.tar.gz. If you are the only
user, and you want to partake of the internal updater, you can install
it into your Home directory (run the installer as your user, and
choose your /home/user directory to install to). If multiple users
will use it, install into /usr/local or /usr/share as the root user.

copy the tar file to the root directory where you want to extract the
Firefox installer.
run the command 'tar -zxvf firefox-1.0.1.installer.tar.gz'
This will create a directory called 'firefox-installer' and extract
all the files into their proper directory structure. Once extracted,
and assuming you want to install into your Home directory, you can run
the firefox-installer with [assuming you extracted to /usr/local]:
/usr/local/firefox-installer/firefox-installer

Follow the prompts and enter the destination [ex. /home/foo/firefox]
directory you want to install in, finish the install. When complete,
run Firefox with the command:
'/home/foo/firefox/firefox &' from a shell, or create a desktop Icon
to run it from.

Thunderbird is similar, but (if I remember correctly, does not contain
an installer. You merely run it from the directory you extracted to.

Let me know if you need more detail.

--
Donn
"Sarcasm is the safe alternative to expressing anger."