Re: Where to get website development questions answered?

+ (text/html)
Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Where to get website development questions answered?
This would be a bit better suited to the devel list, so I set the
reply-to for that...

One of the best tools for handling the type of display you're looking
for would be SVG, which is a standard for vector graphics that
incorporates much of the SMIL animation features (making it comparable
to the proprietary Flash format for animation). What you could do with
SVG is either place each image in a small SVG wrapper that specifies a
delay before displaying the image, or place them all in one SVG that
displays each according to the delays you want. Either would accomplish
your goal.

SMIL is a great standard for time-based manipulation of web pages, but
it's not really supported in browsers yet, SVG at least has some plugin
support.

If you need maximum portability, then the previous poster's suggestion
to use JavaScript is the best solution, but it'll take a bit of work,
and you need to warn visitors that JavaScript is required, since many
turn those features off to avoid overly aggressive content (i.e.
spyware/adware/overlay ads/pop-under ads, etc...)