Re: Fedora Core 3 and USB drives

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Fedora Core 3 and USB drives
On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 13:21 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I am having a problem with FC3 and my USB drives. I have a USB CF card
> reader and a USB "thumb drive" that I cannot get to. With FC3 they
> implemented a HAL deamon for hot-plug that automatically updates fstab
> and mounts the device on /media
>
> When I plug them in, the new directory shows up in /media as it should.
> For example, if I plug in my SimpleTech USB thumb drive, the
> directory /media/SIMPTECH shows up. However, even as root it has no
> files in it. The entry in fstab correctly shows vfat as the file type
> but I cannot see any files if I do 'ls /media/SIMPTECH' as root.
>
> I have been reading about udev and the various rule files under /etc/udev
> that appear to control this sort of thing. But, as I continue to read up
> on it all, I thought I'd ask PLUG for any hints.
>
> Alan
>
> ---fstab when both card reader and thumb drive are plugged in (CANON_DC is
> the card reader):
> # cat fstab
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot       /boot         ext3    defaults        1 2
> none               /dev/pts         devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none              /dev/shm       tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /home    ext3    defaults        1 2
> none              /proc            proc    defaults        0 0
> none              /sys             sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap   swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb1    /store             ext3    defaults         0 0
> /dev/hdd      /media/cdrom  auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/hdc      /media/cdrecorder  auto  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/fd0      /media/floppy           auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/sda1    /media/CANON_DC         vfat
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,managed 0 0
> /dev/sdb1    /media/SIMPTECH         vfat
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,managed 0 0
> #

----
some thoughts first about udev

don't edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
if you have to do edits, make a new file...
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules
because updated package will conflict and udev will read other file and
incorporate anyway.

I found a very helpful page on udev to be...
http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php

but I don't see that you issue is udev

The concept is to mount these 'disks' automatically in your user space
and not as root. Given the above that you had written, I would have
expected a disk to show on your GNOME/KDE desktop which you could double
click to open or right click to eject. Since the fstab info you sent
shows us 'noauto' for these items, they aren't mounted automatically but
I would think that a double click on the icon on the desktop will
perform the mount.

Your files should be there...if not...
- is it really vfat?
- is there something in /var/log/messages or /var/log/dmesg that tells
you of an error?

Craig