Fedora Core 3 and USB drives

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Fedora Core 3 and USB drives
I am having a problem with FC3 and my USB drives. I have a USB CF card
reader and a USB "thumb drive" that I cannot get to. With FC3 they
implemented a HAL deamon for hot-plug that automatically updates fstab
and mounts the device on /media

When I plug them in, the new directory shows up in /media as it should.
For example, if I plug in my SimpleTech USB thumb drive, the
directory /media/SIMPTECH shows up. However, even as root it has no
files in it. The entry in fstab correctly shows vfat as the file type
but I cannot see any files if I do 'ls /media/SIMPTECH' as root.

I have been reading about udev and the various rule files under /etc/udev
that appear to control this sort of thing. But, as I continue to read up
on it all, I thought I'd ask PLUG for any hints.

Alan

---fstab when both card reader and thumb drive are plugged in (CANON_DC is
the card reader):
# cat fstab
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot       /boot         ext3    defaults        1 2
none               /dev/pts         devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none              /dev/shm       tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /home    ext3    defaults        1 2
none              /proc            proc    defaults        0 0
none              /sys             sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap   swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb1    /store             ext3    defaults         0 0
/dev/hdd      /media/cdrom  auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc      /media/cdrecorder  auto  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0      /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sda1    /media/CANON_DC         vfat
pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,managed 0 0
/dev/sdb1    /media/SIMPTECH         vfat
pamconsole,exec,noauto,iocharset=utf8,noatime,sync,managed 0 0
#