Re: Test rpm removal

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Test rpm removal
On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 19:31 -0700, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Bart Garst wrote:
> > I have an rpm I want to remove.
> >
> > I try the command:
> >
> > rpm -ev --test mutt-1.4i-1.rhl7
> >
> > Which I think is rpm erase verbose test this process package name.
> >
> > I just get a new blank cursor with no responses.
> >
> > I am wondering if I have malconfigures the command?
> >

> > ====
> >
> > I think you want
> > `rpm -e mutt`
> > (not sure about the '--test' & '-v' flags)
> >
> > I don't think you're supposed to put in the version number.
> > I could be wrong though, it's been a long time since I last used rpm to
> > remove a package.
> >
> > Bart
> >
> Bart's right.
> --test and -v flags should be ok too.
> -e doesn't normally produce any output (unless there's a problem).
> -vv might show more of what's going on. Don't know though, never used -v
> or -vv with -e.
>
> If you want to see what's included with the package that'll be removed,
> try 'rpm -ql mutt

----
these guys are both right

one thing I would add is that when rpm hangs, it's likely the db is
buggered (ask Alan about that, as he is doing FC3 new install tonight I
think ;-)

I think that you've got an idea...testing the removal to see if it
breaks any dependencies but of course, the rpm command will tell you
that it can't remove an rpm with other rpm's having a dependency on the
one you are trying to remove. NEVER use the --force or --no-depends
options unless you know exactly what you are doing or are prepared to
have a really screwed up system.

Anyway, when rpm hangs...

# best to kill any processes that called it...
killall rpm

# remove the db's that hold the data on rpm's prior to rebuilding them
rm -fr /var/lib/rpm/__*

# rebuild the db's
rpm --rebuilddb

would generally fix these things and then you can try rpm commands
again.

Craig