Re: Restore RPM database?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Restore RPM database?
On Sunday 06 February 2005 04:44 pm, Craig White wrote:
> ----
> always a good idea to format/bad block check - it just takes time ;-)
>
> As for how it got this way? Who knows? Bad karma? Did you kick the
> cat?
>
> Did you run out of disk space on /var when doing some update?

This is possible but only some time ago before I added a second drive. I am
pretty sure I had done an update since that out of space encounter. (Always
check for lots of room before dumping a digital video into the hard drive!)

> Since Fedora uses sleepycat to manage the DB's here, did you do
> something with DB4 like install a new version compiled from source or
> something?

Not on purpose.

> ----
> the problem seems to be it didn't add any entries into 'Packages' as
> this is in a temp folder called /var/lib/rpmbuilddb.16296/Packages
> before it finishes.
>
> you have to go through the steps listed...

If I was not clear before, let me be so now. I did all the steps you listed
to no appearent effect. The --rebuilddb output was part of doing those
steps.

db_verify reports no errors but I still have no database.

> the command db_dump Packages > Packages.txt will create a large text
> dump of what is in Packages but even on a working system, it's mostly
> incomprehensible to me.

db_dump produces lots hex numbers, understandably incomprehensible. The
header I get is:

# db_dump Packages
VERSION=3
format=bytevalue
type=hash
h_nelem=4
db_pagesize=4096
HEADER=END

But I don't think that is much help.

This is an interesting academic exercise but I don't think we will find a
solution. Like I said, I'll just update to FC3 and be done with the issue.
Grates me to not "really solve" it but I have found no answers since this
path you found has not helped.

Alan