Re: Restore RPM database?

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Restore RPM database?
On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 21:31 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:

> On Sunday 06 February 2005 04:44 pm, Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > always a good idea to format/bad block check - it just takes time ;-)
> >
> > As for how it got this way? Who knows? Bad karma? Did you kick the
> > cat?
> >
> > Did you run out of disk space on /var when doing some update?
>
> This is possible but only some time ago before I added a second drive. I am
> pretty sure I had done an update since that out of space encounter. (Always
> check for lots of room before dumping a digital video into the hard drive!)

----
is /var on it's own partition? It should be.
----

> db_verify reports no errors but I still have no database.
>
> > the command db_dump Packages > Packages.txt will create a large text
> > dump of what is in Packages but even on a working system, it's mostly
> > incomprehensible to me.
>
> db_dump produces lots hex numbers, understandably incomprehensible. The
> header I get is:
>
> # db_dump Packages
> VERSION=3
> format=bytevalue
> type=hash
> h_nelem=4
> db_pagesize=4096
> HEADER=END
>
> But I don't think that is much help.
>
> This is an interesting academic exercise but I don't think we will find a
> solution. Like I said, I'll just update to FC3 and be done with the issue.
> Grates me to not "really solve" it but I have found no answers since this
> path you found has not helped.

I'm doubting that you actually did the steps of...

cd /var/lib
cp rpm rpm.bak
cd rpm
cp Packages Packages.bak
db_dump Packages | db_load Packages

those were the only steps that 'could' repair the file Packages. In
fact, it is the last step that would repair Packages. Everything else
was to provide backups should the 'db_dump Packages | db_load Packages'
step go awry. The dump to a text file was only for S & G's

Craig