Re: Faxing

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Faxing
Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 14:26 -0700, wrote:
>
>>(Not to suport MS)
>>Microsoft had a free Fax App on their web site a while back. In fasct it came
>>bundled with Win2K, Win XP, Outlook 2000, and I think Office 2k Pro... So if
>>you have a win OS and time to look, you can proably still find the app on the
>>MS site and use it to test your modem conection.
>>
>>Once you know it is good with a Win product then we can see if it works under
>>*nix... I should mention that I had a cheep 33.6 modem that faxed under
>>windows but not under RedHat... But I always thought it was an experance
>>problem on my part...
>
> ----
> sometimes the efforts don't provide clarity.
>
> modems like all hardware I guess have condensed everything down to a
> single chip or a few chips and they use software control of data entry
> points and other functions which has been of benefit to the Windows OS
> because it allows them more functionality of the very few hardware IRQ's
>
> So we have an explosion of 'software' driven modems which are very
> cheap. These are typically referred to as Win modems. They provide
> drivers for the Microsoft OS types in order to sell them. They haven't
> necessarily provided 'drivers' for Linux because they haven't identified
> the Linux market as having value to them and they are probably less than
> eager to release their drivers in 'open source'.
>
> So that leaves only 2 real options...
>
> - buy a real hardware modem, internal or external that actually uses an
> IRQ or
> - search for information regarding your specific chipset in your 'win
> modem' on the website - something like lin-modem.org and do whatever is
> necessary to make it work. This can be a hassle
>
> Of further note - Apple, not one to miss an opportunity to cheapen
> things up has gone to a new version of the Motorola SM56 chipsets in the
> modems on new G5's and they suck big time. Try receiving a 10 page fax
> on one...they will fail 80% of the time. Whether we used Apple's built-
> in mimimalist fax software, Page Sender or Fax STF Pro was immaterial.
> Smith-Micro swears that their new version of Fax STF Pro fixes this
> issue (which is clearly an Apple problem) but it only fractionally
> reduced the percentage of errors. Finally ended up going to a Zoom USB
> external modem to solve problem.
>
> One last note - some of these modems work poorly in Windows too.
>
> Craig

So true. Then, once you get the computer working ok with the modem, the
fax capabilities of the unit may or may not work well with real life fax
machines (or other modems) on the other end! There is Class 1, class 2,
and class 2.0. Oddly enough, with Hylafax, Class 1 works best. If your
device supports it, always configure it to use Class 1 for best
compatability.

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;