OT: Cleaning a laser printer

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: OT: Cleaning a laser printer
I have a Brother HL-1270N laser printer that I bought years ago and is
the best printer I've ever owned. It does 12ppm, 600dpi, and has an
integrated network print server that supports TCP/IP ("JetDirect"),
NetBIOS/SMB, AppleTalk, POP3, and FTP. Best of all, it speaks
PostScript and PCL directly. So the combination of raw network access
and PostScript meant that this was the first printer I ever owned that
worked *perfectly* with Linux right out of the box. No foomatic, no
messing around with finding similar printers, no messing with USB... it
just *worked* instantly and perfectly. So I have a fond place in my
heart for this little workhorse and now that it's not working up to
snuff, I would prefer to fix it rather than replace it.

The problem goes back to some months ago. I was printing out something
and accidently sent far too much data to it and it spooled up some 100
pages. I installed 32MB of memory in the printer so it can store
*lots* with no easy way to cancel once queued. The smart thing to do
would have been to take out the paper and wait for it to run out then
cycle the power to clear the cache. Well, I didn't. Instead, I turned
it off while in the middle of printing a page. This meant that I had a
paper jam and to solve that, I physically yanked the paper through the
mechanism.

Well, that did *something* not very nice. Ever since, all pages that
go through it come through with a background that looks like somebody
rubbed fine charcoal over the entire surface. They all look very
dirty. I replaced the toner and the drum, but to no avail.

My final remaining thought is that it's the fuser since, other than the
drum/toner combo, it's the only remaining major component of the
printer. The problem is that it's not easily accessible. I took apart
the printer last night (lots of screws) but even if I can access it, I
can't do much since it's self contained.

So why am I posting here? Well, I'm hoping that somebody out there is
experienced in cleaning laser printer like this and knows a way to
clean a fuser. Tape decks have cleaning tapes, CD driver have cleaning
CDs... is there such a thing as a cleaning paper? Failing that, does
anybody have any other suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks,
Kurt