Re: writing special characters

Author: Ric Fischer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: writing special characters
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:20:16 -0800 (PST), Jeremy C. Reed
<> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Mikey wrote:
>
> > Here are the procedures done:
> >
> > touch andor
> > mv andor 'and\/or'
> >
> > but it doesn't work. The error it gives is:
> >
> > mv: cannot move `andor' to `and\\/or': No such file or directory
>
> You can not use the / (slash) because it means directory.

Actually, that's not quite true. If I

$ cd /home/ric

The '/' (forward slash) character is not part of the names for either
home or ric. The file system uses it as a delimiter to separate one
level of the file system from another. It's far more complicated than
that, but that's a boiled-down explanation. Because the '/' character
is only a delimiter and not a part of the file system itself, it's a
legal character in filenames.

For some reason, Bash is auto-escaping things in his command line.

Hmm. This is curious. Bash is holding our hands far more than I
remember from way, way back when I first played with Unix and learned
about shell stuff.

Does a more modern-day Linux shell guru have an answer?

--
Ric Fischer