Re: Cheap ISPs with good newsfeed

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Cheap ISPs with good newsfeed
On Monday 24 January 2005 01:14 pm, wrote:
> My *()#**%^ ISP has decided it no longer wants to carry Usenet at all.
> Service HAD been spotty, now it's officially "to be cancelled early 2005"
> (Gosh, we're only paying ten dollars more than we ned to, how dare we
> expect service)
>
> I love this: They reccomend that their clients (20 million, many of which
> can barely find the on switch) go hassle Google Groups instead.
>
> So I think they may have lost themselves a customer.
>
> I get the impression it's no longer a "sexy" feature for promotion, and
> that some other providers either farm it out or don't offer it, so who can
> you reccomend (ideally, platform agnostic) who will do the right thing.

If you are a big USENET user, you might want to look at a 3rd party service
like GigaNews (www.giganews.com). They've been around for awhile and I've
heard good things about them. They trumpet their completeness and their data
retention which probably means that their primary target subscriber is
looking for certain *ahem* binary newsgroups that are not carried by normal
ISPs.

If you only frequent a few relatively common low-bandwidth newsgroups, then
GigaNews (and the like) is probably overkill since they start at $8/mo.

Kurt