Re: East Side Meeting tonight!

Author: Ric Fischer
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: East Side Meeting tonight!
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:47:01 -0700, June Tate <> wrote:

> Well, I had just enough time to drop off the bunch of Ubuntu CDs I had
> and then head out -- I had a prior meeting with a friend of mine and
> couldn't stick around to talk much. I'm planning on attending the
> following meetings on the East side, though, so if anybody's interested
> I could do a short presentation on Ubuntu sometime. =o)

Thanks, June, for bringing in those CDs. I took one and installed it.
Since you weren't at the meeting and didn't hear this part, I'll
explain why I desparately wanted one.

Once upon a time (just after the first of the year), in a land far,
far away (the rapidly-being-rebuilt south Phoenix), I read a Fry's
Electronics ad. I decided to finally do something about my Linux itch.
(I'd played with it 5+ years ago, but only for a short time.) I
noticed a $200 desktop with Linspire 4.5 pre-installed (AMD Sempron
2200+, 128 Megs RAM, 40 Gig HD). I also purchased a new USB wireless
"card" (I didn't know, though, that it was literally only 3 months old
technology).

After struggling a whole bunch with the too-new wireless device, I
gave up and reverted to an older USB wireless device.

But, Linspire tries to hold your hand a little too much (and I know
too much about computers, OSes, etc.) to be comfortable with how I was
being forced to do things. Imagine my surprise when, even after
downloading all that's normally needed to recompile the kernel, I
couldn't. The first step (kernel 2.4.24's "make dep") would terminate
with a "device name too long" error. Oy!

Yesterday morning, I started my Windows computer on the task of
downloading all 14 CD ISO's of Debian. I decided to go the Debian
route because of all the talk I've seen on the list and elsewhere. (I
found out last night I really only need the first CD ISO if I also
have a high-speed connection.)

Then, when you brought Ubuntu and Hans talked about all the Debian
flavors out there, Ubuntu included, I decided to give that a try
instead.

I did.

...And they (well, he) lived happily ever after. :-)

So, June, thanks heaps and gobs for bringing Ubuntu!

--
Ric Fischer