Re: [1st Reply] New list member looking for advise.

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: [1st Reply] New list member looking for advise.
Am 11. Jan, 2005 schwätzte Rafael Sanchez so:

> Hello again, and much appreciate to hear all your comments. I'll start by
> answering Vaughn's question about the 'business of the shop... " I work
> for. The company's main technology is Remote Sensing. The name of the
> company is Itres - Innovative Technology and Research. They, essentially
> have developed a very expensive camera which can be mounted on a small
> plane, large truck, even a helicopter, and then, pictures are taken of
> the ground. You're wellcome to take a look www.itres.com. This is one of
> the hats I wear; webmaster, I guess they'd call it.

If they will let you work from here I think you'll only need a resident's
permit.

> From what I gather, my greatest road block could be the immigration
> situation. It all seems to overwhelming, that I'm not sure where to
> start. Thanks to Ted Gould for the http://www.ins.gov link. I will visit
> it for sure.

Check with Canadian government as well.

> One fo the places, neighborhoods, mentioned herein has been Queen Creek.
> Is there any other places you guys would recommend? I'm not rich by any
> strech of the imagination, but with family and all, I would like to be
> careful where I look.

Most places in town have affordable areas. Stay at least 5 miles from
ASU's main campus in Tempe and you'll probably be OK. Scottsdale and
Paradise Valley can also be expensive, but there are still reasonable
areas in both.

Not knowing your way about town I would suggest staying within a couple
miles of one of the freeways. Realize that 'around the corner' is anything
within 10 miles, maybe 20, depending on who you're talking to. While
visiting someone in the opposite corner of town last year I paid attention
to my mileage. 100 miles there and back again. All in town. Neither of us
live all the way in the corner of town.

Queen Creek is almost in one of the corners.

> Like any other city, or country in N.A., there would be a public and a
> private education system? What are your thoughts? And what about taxes?
> Rent prices for a two bedroom app? Gasoline, groceries, public
> transportation?

Public transportation in Phoenix? Hah, hah, hah. Yeah, right. We do have
several people in the group who like to use the busses, but I think even
they will admit it's not really usable. Sad, but true :(.

Our meeting this Thu is at a charter school :). The state has info
somewhere on its web site about schools. It also has crime statistics and
other stuff broken down by neighborhood.

The southeast side of town has the most active PLUG community and this
part of the Valley is doing OK jobwise. OTOH we'd like more activity on
the west side and the west side of the Valley is growing.

> Sorry, I know I'm asking a bunch of question. I appreciate your kindness
> in advance.

Ask away, it's a mailing list :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  I only eat free-range vegetables that were hunted down and slain by
#  a member of my immediate family.  -- der.hans