RE: OT: Hosting providers

Author: todd hewett
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: OT: Hosting providers
What the Heck I'll get on the bandwagon myself.

Most people on this list are far more experienced with linux, web hosting
and computers than I am. I'm absolutely impressed with the plug community
and the knowledge and experience they share with each other.

I have a co-located machine at Inflow
http://www.inflow.com/location-details.asp/8 )that has some decent sites
running on it. I don't have any (glitzy or otherwise) front end or automated
account setup -- though I hope to get the free time to get that going. The
only contract is: I am against, and will not tolerate spam, and that I'm
only satisfied if you are.

I thought it would be neat to have my own web server.
I never knew it was going to be so "fun and educational" *-)
linux looked neat neat, and I felt could build a server, create a website
and get an online store to work for a friend. My WHP at that time would not
even answer my emails... let alone talk to me on the phone.

This has proven to be an ongoing education.

The questions my clients come up with amaze me. No claims to being a genius
here. But things seem to get sorted out to everyone's satisfaction.

I am interested in folks that want to pay a reasonable price for a
reasonable service. I like it when clients become advocates.

I am a PSA fan and get a hoot out of chatting with the folks over in
Novosibirsk http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia04/russia_sm04.gif

PSA with all the latest patches.
RH now but maybe something else later (like all the positive Debian
comments).
Redundant everywhere it makes $$ sense... raid, firewall, routers, nics.

Here are some of the sites on the server:
http://www.flierwire.com
http://www.lukelester.com
http://www.bestfloralfarms.net
http://www.impactimage.net