Re: firefox vs mozilla

Author: Sanjay Darisi
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: firefox vs mozilla
Interesting observation Bart. I see a huge difference in the total
memory mapping too. I looked at the mapping size of the individual files
'firefox-bin' and 'mozilla-bin' in the pmap output and it's the same big
difference. I've resorted to trivial way:

ls -lh /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla-bin
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         1.7M Jan 13  2004
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla-bin

ls -lh /usr/local/firefox-installer/firefox-bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         9.4M Nov  7 13:27
/usr/local/firefox-installer/firefox-bin

May be that explains the diff in the memory maps of these two files in
their virtual address space (pmap output). From my understanding. pmap
shows the memory maps in a process's address space (virtual address
space) and not the physical memory occupied by that process. But when I
use top and sort processes based on their memory usage, firefox-bin
tops. So...I'm curious to know about firefox being 'lightweight' too...