Re: firefox vs mozilla

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: firefox vs mozilla
On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 17:14, Bart Garst wrote:
> I've asked this before, I just can't seem to find the thread in the
> archives.
>
> I had been under the assumption that firefox is a lightweight browser,
> where mozilla is an entire suite of Internet apps (mail, browser, chat,
> etc...).
>
> I want to focus on "lightweight". Does this refer to the resources
> firefox uses? I remember being told firefox has a smaller memory
> footprint than mozilla, however, my findings show the opposite.
>
> Versions are (deb packages):
> Mozilla - 1.6-5
> Firefox - 1.0-4
>
> Here's what I did:
> Only firefox open, single tab, simple html page displayed from my local
> apache installation.
> `pmap -d pid_for_firefox-bin`
> Final line of output reads:
> mapped: 83516K    writeable/private: 52808K    shared: 768K

> Then, with only mozilla open, single tab, same page.
> `pmap -d pid_for_mozilla-bin`
> Final line of output reads:
> mapped: 78656K    writeable/private: 50440K    shared: 768K

> Mozilla has less mapped as well as less private memory usage.
>
> So the questions are:
> Is my testing methodology flawed?
> Is my original understanding of firefox incorrect?
>
> I'd appreciate any clarification I can get.

I found some relevant information on a Firefox list.

Apparently in the Firefox world, "lightweight" means quick download time
of the install executable.

The other meaning of "lightweight" is "browser only" - as in none of the
other Internet tools you *can* get with mozilla.

I don't see a difference between then two when it comes to ease of use
and look-and-feel. I'm left with the question "what's the point to
firefox?" I have only the browser installed for mozilla and mozilla
seems to be using less resources.

I guess if I had to use dial-up though, firefox would probably be my
browser of choice.

Anyway, thanks for the relevant replies I got. I hope someone else finds
this information useful.

Thx,
Bart