Re: switch

Author: Mikey
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: switch
On Tuesday 04 January 2005 09:16, Kevin wrote:
> If the switch has an IP-based mgmt interface that you have assigned an
> IP address to, then you can typically use telnet or ssh to administer
> the switch across an IP network (no need to be physically near the
> switch). If you can't remember what IP address you gave it, try
> connecting a crossover ethernet cable between the switch and the
> ethernet port of your computer. With that in place, ping the broadcast
> address of the subnet and watch the IP addresses that reply.
>
> If you don't know the broadcast address, the `ifconfig` command will
> tell you. For example, mine says:
>
> Hope that helps,
> ...Kevin

Sort of what I was looking for. But the broadcast option isn't working. Let me
show you:

bmike1@4[bmike1]$ ifconfig|grep Bcast
          inet addr:10.10.10.2  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0ms

bmike1@4[bmike1]$ sudo ping -bc 4 10.255.255.255
WARNING: pinging broadcast address
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted

--- 10.255.255.255 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3012ms

bmike1@4[bmike1]$

Another thing is that the switch might not have the same network address. It
probably does, but I don't remember.